The School of Music, Theatre, and Dance empowers students to create, collaborate, innovate and inspire. Through teaching, creative artistry, research, advocacy, and service, we elevate arts education.
- Champion student success by providing the finest possible faculty, staff, curriculum, facilities, and academic support services.
- Recruit and retain aspiring students in music, theatre, and dance from Colorado, the United States, and the world to create and sustain a diverse and collaborative artistic community.
- Inspire innovation through providing opportunities for students, faculty, staff to collaborate in cross-‐disciplinary experiences in the arts and other disciplines.
- Advocate for the arts as an essential part of the development of an educated and compassionate population by providing courses and experiences in the creative process to the entire CSU community and beyond.
- Engage with local, regional, national and global communities as a resource for knowledge, creative artistry, innovation, and service.
Greetings from the Director
Welcome to the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance at Colorado State University, recognized as a distinctive program in the performing arts within the state's land-grant university. Only 60 miles from Denver and located in the scenic foothills of Colorado’s Front Range, the school offers a high quality performing arts education at the relatively affordable cost of a public university, all housed in the stunning 250,000 square foot University Center for the Arts.
Our world-class facility provides dance, music, and theatre students with the opportunity to work side-by side with an outstanding faculty of internationally recognized artists, directors, designers, performers, and scholars in a highly inspiring and professional environment. Small class sizes affording individual attention and an inclusive atmosphere are trademarks of our commitment to providing a supportive yet demanding learning environment where our students prepare for careers in the performing arts.
Graduates of the school’s degree programs in theatre, music, and dance have become successful within the creative sector of our economy as performers, educators, designers, music therapists, and entrepreneurs.
Additionally, the School of Music, Theatre and Dance (SMTD) is committed to providing non-majors with experiences in the performing arts that will enrich their education and prepare them for the rapidly changing world that awaits them upon graduation. If you are interested in exploring the many opportunities that await you at CSU, I encourage you to visit our wonderful facility and meet our outstanding students, faculty, and staff.
Colorado State University is an important part of the artistic community of Fort Collins and the northern Front Range Urban Corridor, providing access to more than 250 performances, gallery exhibitions, and guest artist appearances throughout the year, many at no charge to the public. I personally invite you to visit the University Center for the Arts (UCA) and hear a concert, attend a theatrical production or dance show, or view a gallery exhibition.
Director, School of Music, Theatre, and Dance
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses – behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. ~ Muhammad Ali