“Cuckoo’s Nest” Student Profile: Luke Karn

Meet Luke Karn playing the role of Patient, Dale Harding in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”

Luke Karn is a senior theatre major at Colorado State University. Besides Cuckoo’s Nest, Luke has also appeared onstage at CSU in 33 Swoons, The Seagull, Eurydice, Six Characters In Search of An Author, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and The Alchemist. Luke is also a proud graduate of The Second City Training Center’s Comedy Studies program. After graduation, Luke hopes to gain employment with a theatre company in the United States or continue to work for Anheuser-Busch. Luke would like to thank his friends, his mentors, and especially his family for their continued love and support.

For audience members who have read the book or seen the movie, what will the live experience be like? For audiences who have already experienced the book and or the film, this play promises to be a more intense, prolonged, in-your-face look at the struggles of the mentally ill.

What type of preparation have you done to portray your character? As for preparation, I have developed ticks that I envision my character would do unknowingly in addition to practicing the speech and method in which my character talks to the other people around him.

What have you enjoyed most about being in this production? The thing that I have enjoyed the most is the report I have built up with the other inmates. I’ve definitely made some new friends.